Quebec Leads Canada in Time Spent Making Dinner at Home

British Columbians are more likely to have dinner in front of a television set than residents of other Canadian provinces.

Vancouver, BC [July 5, 2019] – Most Canadians devote less than an hour to prepare dinner at home, but residents of Quebec are more likely to spend longer in the kitchen every night, a new Research Co. poll has found.

In the online survey of a representative national sample, 60% of Canadians say they spend anywhere from 31 to 60 minutes preparing dinner for themselves and others in their household on an average weekday. 

Three-in-ten Canadians (30%) spend less than 30 minutes in the kitchen making dinner—a proportion that rises to 38% in Manitoba and Saskatchewan and 33% in Alberta.

“Canadian men are significantly more likely than Canadian women to devote as little time in the kitchen as possible,” says Mario Canseco, President of Research Co. “While only 24% of female respondents say they spend less than half an hour making dinner each night, the proportion jumps to 36% among male respondents.”

While only 10% of Canadians devote more than 60 minutes to preparing dinner at home on an average weekday, the proportion rises to 20% in Quebec.

Seven-in-ten Canadians (71%) acknowledge having relied on frozen entrees cooked in the oven to prepare dinner at home in the past month, while three-in-five (60%) consumed frozen entrees cooked in the microwave.

Canadians report that 51% of the dinners they had at home over the course of the past month took place at the dining room, with no television. The remaining 49% of dinners happened at a different part of the home, with the television on.

The percentage of meals that occurred in the dining room is highest in Quebec (60%) and lowest in British Columbia (42%).

Methodology:

Results are based on an online study conducted from May 31 to June 3, 2019, among 1,000 adults in Canada. The data has been statistically weighted according to Canadian census figures for age, gender and region in Canada. The margin of error—which measures sample variability—is +/- 3.1 percentage points, nineteen times out of twenty.

Find our full data set here and download the press release here. 

For more information on this poll, please contact:

Mario Canseco, President, Research Co.
[c] 778.929.0490
[e] mario.canseco@researchco.ca